If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel.
Hygiene when travelling is a lot more important than one might first think. It’s one thing to wash your hands after you go to the toilet, but do you wash after you shake someone’s hand?
How about the water from the tap when you brush your teeth?
- Do you know where that water comes from
- is it filtered
- Do villages have access to the stream upriver before it gets to you
Did you know that damp hands spread 1,000 times more bacteria than dry hands?
What’s the hygiene like in the area you are travelling to.
- Do the locals have good hygiene habits
- Are there constant warnings about drinking the local water.
A typical wash point upriver from local villages.
Standard overwater toilet built in most coastal villages.
Here are some things to think about when travelling.
- Always carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser in your backpack
- Use antiseptic body soap where possible
- Have a good water filtration device if your hiking or camping.
- ALWAYS check the lid on your bottled water to make sure the seal is intact when you purchase it.
- Wear thongs/sandals in the shower to avoid Tinea
- Speak with a specialist travel Doctor about any medication they suggest to take with you.
- Always, ALWAYS have travel insurance.
Most parasites and bacteria can be treated with medication. If you feel unwell or have some concerns about your health, consult your Doctor or call your travel insurance company for advice.
Travel insurance should be something that you automatically do, rather than think about. A medical evacuation from Papua New Guinea to Australia start from $30,000.
Travel insurance is a great way to reduce that cost, and give you peace of mind.
Before travelling to any region outside of Australia you should first check with the Department of Foreign Affairs Smart Traveller website.
We suggest you also seek a risk assessment and mitigation report if unsure about the area your travelling to.
If you’re thinking about a remote activity and looking for a medical company that cares about its client’s safety.
Contact Think Medical Solutions to see how we can help you.